The Ocean Project seeks a creative, entrepreneurial, collaborative, and strategic leader to grow the reach and impact of World Oceans Day and manage the fast-growing World Oceans Day network for year-round action. This person will bring a strong passion to collaboratively creating a better future.
World Oceans Day, on 8 June each year, serves as a global rallying point for raising awareness and promoting personal, community and societal action in fun, positive, and meaningful ways, leading to a more aware, engaged, and sustainable society and a healthier blue planet, including our ocean and climate.
Since 2002, we have worked in partnership with key networks, organizations, and individuals to inform, activate, connect, and demonstrate worldwide support for ocean conservation on World Oceans Day, and throughout the year.
Youth engagement and leadership constitutes a major focus for all we do. Each year we develop a conservation action focus that serves to unite the global community around an actionable goal. The World Oceans Day Youth Advisory Council plays a critically important role, not only in engaging young people worldwide, but also as part of an ambitious multi-year strategy to continually expand involvement with all sectors. For more info please see: www.WorldOceansDay.org.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker and doer, with collaboration built into their DNA, and with the following:
- Strong networking capabilities
- Strategic in their overall approach but also detail-oriented
- Proven success in marketing and events management for impact
- Experience in membership development and customer relationship management
- Proven skills in content marketing and digital communications
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Ease with handling multiple tasks and self-motivated
- Excellence in managing relationships and data related to coordinating with hundreds of independent event organizers
- Keen interest in ocean and climate conservation and making a global impact!
The World Oceans Day Manager will be an integral part of our lean and virtual team, working closely with the executive director, youth coordinator, and social media manager, as well as advisors and consultants.
- Manage and coordinate overall activities related to World Oceans Day
- Continually grow participation, manage ongoing outreach and communications with global network of organizations and businesses for involvement
- Work year-round to increase involvement and grow advocacy around ocean conservation efforts
- Facilitate collaboration with key partners (e.g. aquariums, recreational stakeholders, corporate partners, entertainment and business community, United Nations)
- Manage and coordinate overall digital communications with network of partners, through blog posts, website updates, email, and other outreach on a continual basis year-round
- Help develop creative and effective resources and tools for World Oceans Day event organizers
- Assist with other tasks and opportunities as they arise
Requirements include (at a minimum):
- A college or university degree (communications and marketing a plus)
- A few years of relevant work experience
- Excellent organizational skills and networking interests
- Proven abilities with campaign organizing and marketing
- Ability to work efficiently remotely and virtually collaborate with team members
- Strong writing skills with ability to write concisely and in engaging ways for diverse audiences
- Experience working with WordPress or other CMS
- Strong connections to socially responsible corporations a plus
- Bilingual or multilingual a plus
- Always good to have a sense of humour
Compensation and application process:
This will be a full-time position, compensated appropriately based on experience, with strong possibilities for growth. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume/CV, and three references no later than October 17, 2019 to: Bill Mott, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls, please). Applications from candidates reflecting diverse educational, cultural, and experiential backgrounds are highly encouraged. The Ocean Project is an equal opportunity employer.